I adapted the banana muffin recipe from allrecipes.com and added vanilla extract and almond slices.
For 12 large muffins
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large ripened bananas
3/4 cup white sugar
1 large egg (here I use two small ones)
1/3 cup melted butter
1 table spoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup almond slices
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). You can put the frozen bananas, almonds and butter in the oven for defreezing, toasting, and melting.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Combine bananas, sugar, egg, vanilla extract and melted butter in a large bowl. Fold in flour mixture, and mix until smooth. Add 1/2 cup of almond slices and fold gently until even distributed. Scoop into lined muffin pans. Sprinkle the rest of the almond slices.
- Bake about 25 minutes.
Tips about baking these muffins
- Bananas. When your banana starts to turn brown, don't throw them away, these are the perfect ones for baking. If you don't have time to use them right away, leaven them in the freezer!
- When the baking is done, take the muffins out of the oven immediately to stop the baking process.