- 21/4 cups pastry flour
- 1tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup shortening. Very cold and cut in cubes
- 1/2 cup(115g) butter. Very cold and cut in cubes
- about 6 tbsp ice water.
- 3/4 lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1large, or 2 small eggs
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- optional:1/2 cup raisins, pecans, walnuts
To prepare the pastry
- Mix the flour, sugar and salt together
- Cut the butter and shortening into flour mix until the fat is reduced to pea sized pieces.
- Sprinkle the water over the mixture 1 tablespoon at a time and toss with a fork until the mixture is sticking together. Lightly work with the dough to form into an inch thick disk.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll out on lightly floured surface. Cut into 4 inch rounds and fit into muffin cups. Chill in the fridge while preparing the filling to ensure flaky shell!
To prepare the filling
- combine all filling ingredients except raisins and mix well.
- (Sprinkle raisins in a single layer in the bottom of the pastry lined muffin cups)
- Fill 2/3 full with syrup mixture
- Bake on bottom shelf of oven at 425 degrees F (or 220 C) for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack and remove tarts from pans