This year my son requested a cake with Rolo for his birthday. To fulfill his wish, I adopted the cheesecake cupcake recipe from JoyofBaking.com and added Rolos and chocolate glaze. It was easy and fast to make and the portion is just perfect for one serving. I may make them again for Thanksgiving or X'mas dessert!
Here's the recipe: (Makes 12 individual cheesecakes.)
1 cup graham wafer crumbs
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 - 8 ounce (454 grams) packages of cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/2 cup sour cream*
1 tablespoon of flour (optional, this is to help the cakes from collapsing)
1 bag of mini Rolo chocolates ( I used less than half of a bag)
100g of dark chocolate
2 tablespoons of heavy cream
1 tablespoons of butter
More Rolo chocolates for decoration.
- Line the muffin baking tray with paper cups.
- For Crust: In a small bowl combine all three ingredients. Press a heaping tablespoon of crumbs onto the bottoms of the 12 muffin cups. Cover and refrigerate while you make the filling.
- For Filling: Beat the cream cheese with electric mixer on low speed until creamy and smooth. Add the sugar, salt, and flour and beat until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the eggs, one at a time, beat until incorporated. Add the vanilla extract, lemon zest, and sour cream and beat until incorporated. The texture will resemble pancake batter.
- Preheat the over to 300 degrees F.
- Remove the crusts from the refrigerator and evenly divide the filling among the 12 muffin cups.
- Add 3-4 mini Rolos into each cup.
- Bake for about 18 - 22 minutes** or until firm but the centers of the cheesecakes still wobble a little. Remove from oven and let cool slightly (5 mins) before moving on to cooling rack. Let cool completely (15-20 mins) and then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Melt the glaze ingredients over hot water. Pour the glaze onto each cupcake. Gently even out the glaze with butter knife. Place 1-2 Rolos on top of the glaze before harden. Refrigerate for at least 30 mins.
* I forgot the sour cream on my shopping list, I replaced it with 1 tablespoon of butter and added milk to make 1/2 cup plus a squeeze of lemon juice and let it set for 5 minutes. It worked just fine!
**I baked the cupcakes for 18 minutes and they still cracked up but the chocolate glaze concealed every imperfection on the cakes.