|Coconut bun 椰子奶酥麵包|
Milky stuffing bun is the must eat every time when we travel back to Taiwan. Adding coconut flakes to the stuffing not only adds an extra flavor, but also keeps the stuffing from running out of the bun when baking.
1 cup of warm milk (90-100°F 32-37 ºC)
2 1/2 teaspoons of dry yeast
3 cups of bread flour
2 tablespoons of sugar (I prefer brown sugar)
4 tablespoons of butter
1/4 teaspoon of salt.
6 tablespoons of butter soften or coconut oil ( I used coconut oil this time)
4 tablespoons of granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon of salt
25ml of whole egg mixture，about 1/2 large egg (keep the other half for brushing the dough)
6 tablespoons of milk powder and 6 tablespoons of coconut flakes
- Add the yeast, 1 teaspoon of sugar to warm milk. Stir and let stand 10 mins.
- Add milk mixture, butter, the rest of sugar, salt to 2 1/2 cups of flour. Keep 1/2 cup of flour for adjustment.
- Knead dough for about 10 mins until dough is elastic but still soft and moist. Form the dough into a ball.
- Cover with wet tea towel and let rise in warm place until doubled. About 1 hour. (note: As the day making the buns to prepare this recipe was in the midst of winter. I preheated my oven to 200°F and turned off before preparing the milk mixture)
- At about 45 mins of the dough rising, prepare the coconut stuffing by combine all ingredients and form into a soft but solid ball. Divide into 12 equal balls and refrigerate.
- Punch the dough to let out of air and form into a ball again. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces.
- Wrap the stuffing into the dough. Let rise for 30 mins.
- Brush the dough with the rest of the whole egg mixture. You can also sprinkle with coconut flakes and/or milk powder.
- Preheat oven to 325°F and bake for 18-20 min.