Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Simple homemade cheese crackers (school snacks idea)

As soon as I watched chef John's video(of food wishes) making these cheese crackers, I knew this will become an instant hit in my house. However the fact that this also makes an easy and tasty homemade snack for school (nut free) prompts me to share this recipe. 





如需中文食譜請留言!

As if chef John's recipe is not simple enough, I cut down the ingredients to five and combine steps to make this recipe truly simple.


  
Make about 45, 3/4 inch square crackers:


  1. 2 tablespoons butter at room temperature 
  2. 1 cup lighted packed cheddar cheese, grated*
  3. 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 
  4. 1/2 tea spoon baking soda
  5. 1 tablespoon cold water




Directions:

  • Mix first 4 ingredients together until crumbly. 
  • Add cold water to form a dough. Since I form the dough by hand, I simply wet my hand with cold water a few times to work on the dough until it forms into smooth, non-sticky ball.
  • Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
  • Preheat over to 375 degrees F. 
  • Lightly flour the work surface, roll dough out to about an 1/8 inch thick. Cut the dough into 3/4 inch squares. I find it easier to cut the dough from the centre and divide it from there.
  • Place the squares on the baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.





* You can replace the Cheddar with other medium/firm cheeses, such as Swiss, Gouda, or Monterey Jack. I actually prefer Chef John's original mix of Cheddar and Parmesan, but the rest of my family find it a bit strong. Well the majority wins! 



What's your kids' favorite school snack?!




Rolo cheesecake cupcakes











Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...